Astronomy Search:


Live Star Chart -- Messier Slide Collection -- NGC Slide Series

Click here, to see latest weather radar Vail, AZ from Weather Underground

Get Polaris transit times at the U.S. Naval Oceanography Portal

Saturday, September 4, 2010

Eye of God

Nearly 400 exposures taken of the Helix Nebula in the constellation of Aquarius. This fascinating object is one of the closest planetary nebula to Earth, 700 light-years distant. I first heard of it on the Internet as the "Eye of God"...some silly news article. Had to check it out. Very dim, long exposures needed to detect that anything is there.



Unguided, 393 x 15 sec. JPEG frames, with DDP processing again. I've spent some time now using JPEG format to shorten and simplify the post processing. I think its given notable results. But, now that I've improved, it is probably time to work directly from RAW format. I'm sure I could do a much better job now with this new scope in pulling out detail.

No comments: